Coffee is the world’s second favourite beverage, with tea being the first. Most coffee drinkers wouldn’t go a day without their morning pick me up, with the love for coffee a world wide obsession. And with good reason! The benefits of coffee, when enjoyed in moderation, are many. These include increased cognitive function, boosting your metabolism and providing a source of anti-oxidants.
But these benefits go beyond what’s in your cup. Coffee has been shown to have incredible skin boosting benefits. Supercharge your self care with this recipe for DIY Double Espresso Body Scrub, containing both Organic Coffee Essential Oil and ground coffee beans!
Benefits of Coffee Essential Oil
“Wake up and smell the coffee” is a saying for a reason! Along with its intoxicating aroma Coffee Essential Oil is incredibly reinvigorating for the senses.
Firstly, it removes fatigue, reduces stress and boosts mood, providing the perfect pick-me-up for body, mind and soul.
Secondly, like the drink, using Coffee Essential Oil for aromatherapy enhances brain cognition and reduces stress, without the side effects of caffeine.
Benefits of Coffee for the Skin
Coffee naturally contains a high quantity of both antioxidants and polyphenols, which are major players when it comes to nourishing your skin. Using coffee oil can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles, improve the elasticity of the skin, as well as supporting the overall health of your skin by promoting moisture retention.
In addition, the caffeine content of coffee reduces the appearance of cellulite, as well as lowers water retention. The exfoliation provided by the coffee granules also assist in increasing circulation, reducing inflammation and removing dead skin cells.
The combination of coffee essential oil and ground coffee in this recipe provide double the benefits. Use this easy to make DIY body scrub to leave your skin feeling smooth and looking radiant.
DIY ‘Double Espresso’ Body Scrub Recipe
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Cup Ground Coffee – fresh or used
- 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 10 Drops of Organic Coffee Essential Oil
- Jar or Container with Lid for Storage
- Mix together the ground coffee and the brown sugar. You have the option of using freshly ground coffee or used grains that have been left to dry.
- Add the coconut oil and mix together thoroughly. It is best to use slightly softened coconut oil, but not completely runny.
- Add 10 to 15 drops of Organic Coffee Essential Oil and mix together again.
- You can add more or less sugar, depending on how much of a scrubbing effect you want.
- Place the scrub into a jar or sealed container for storage.
- In the shower, apply the scrub to damp skin, rubbing in a circular motion. Rinse thoroughly. Use daily or as needed.
If you would like to make a version for your face, we suggest substituting the coconut oil for argan or grapeseed oil, and reducing the amount of sugar to one tablespoon. Also be sure the coffee is finely ground if using on your face.
We hope you enjoy this delicious scrub as much as you enjoy your morning cup of coffee! Give it a try and let us know.