After choosing your tattoo design and getting the ink done at a studio, tattoo aftercare is by far most important aspect of your tattoo journey.
The good healing of the tatoo is fundamental for its its longevity with good colour and sharp lines.
Here are some first steps you should follow so your tatoo heals well.
- Be sure your artist covers your new tattoo in a thin layer of petroleum jelly and a bandage.
- Remove the bandage after 24 hours. Gently wash the tattoo with antimicrobial soap and water and pat dry.
- Apply a layer of antibacterial ointment or aftercare balm twice a day, but don’t put on another bandage.
- Gently wash your tattoo area several times a day with soap and water and gently pat dry.
- Keep applying a moisturizing balm or ointment after you clean it to keep it moist.
Make shure your tatoo heals well. Keep doing the process for 2 to 4 weeks.
Use loose close with natural fibers who don’t stick to your tattoo or make you sweat.
Be careful with sun exposure for a couple of weeks and avoid swimming in general.
At showertime don’t get in contact with warm water, it might not only hurt but make the ink fade.
Never scratch or peel the layers and scrabs the tatoo might develop. Its normal and will heal.
Whatever doubt go to see a professiknal. Ingections can be very painful, even dangerous and might spoil the tattoo.
DIY Aftercare balm on a tattoo
- 2 tablespoons of beeswax.
- 10 drops of myrrh essential oil.
- ½ cup of grapeseed oil and almond oil or another carrier oil.
- 1 tablespoon of vitamin E oil.
- 5 drops of lavender essential oil
- 5 drops of cedarwood essential oil
- 5 drops of frankincense essential oil.
1. Take the beeswax and melt it in a double boiler.
2. Mix carrier oils (almond oil and grapeseed oil ) with vitamin E oil.
3. Keep it aside for 5 – 10 minutes.
4. Now, combine essential oils in the blended carrier oils. Stir it well.
5. Pour it in the dark colored glass bottle. Store it in the cool and dark place for minimum 2-3 hours to blend it.
6. Apply it on the tattoo. As a result, it will heal the tattoo faster and without infection and irritation.
NOTE: Store it in the cool and dark place. Keep away from the children.