Foot Soak for Sore and Tender Feet
A foot soak is a soothing practice to incorporate into your self-care routine. Honestly, it is something people don’t do enough of, but once you get to it, there’s no stopping!
Foot soaks can help soothe sore muscles, relieving aches and pains, while hydrating and nourishing the skin of the feet.
Additionally, adding essential oils can incorporate anti-bacterial, anti-septic, anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties into this practice.
Sometimes we don’t have the time or the energy for a full on bath. Foot soaks are practical ways to harness the healing benefits of water and plant allies for self-care and nourishment.
Get to know the Ingredients
- Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is a key ingredient in this recipe. Epsom salt contains magnesium, which is popularly harnessed for improving blood circulation, detoxification and relieving sore muscles and body aches (Elbossaty WF, 2018).
- Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme essential oil is anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-microbial, anti-oxidant and immune strengthening (Schönknecht, Karina et al., 2016).
Thyme’s purpose in this recipe is to help cleanse the feet of bacteria, microbes and fungus, while relaxing muscular spasms and soothing the senses.
You can learn more about the uses of thyme essential oil in our blog-post Time for Thyme: Essential Oil Uses and Benefits.
- Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil is an aroma most of us already know and love. Its fragrant, relaxing scent is one that suits most self-care treats.
Lavender helps to calm the nervous system, soothing spasms and tension (Koulivand, Peir Hossein et al., 2013) while also offering relief for skin infections, bites, scabs and skin funguses (Behmanesh, Fereshteh et al., 2015).
Lavender use in this recipe will help to cleanse the feet while relaxing the mind.
- Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil adds a refreshing touch to this soothing foot soak. Lemon is antiseptic, detoxifying, helps brighten and uplift the skin and mood, all while boosting the immune system (Babar Ali et al., 2015).
Soothe Sore Feet: DIY Foot Soak
This soothing foot soak will tend to your sore feet while disinfecting and cleansing the skin of microbes, bacterias and funguses.
- a pot of warm water (around 10 t0 16 cups)
- 1/2 cup Epsom salt
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- 1 tsp carrier oil (sweet almond, jojoba, grapeseed oil, etc.)
- 2 drops thyme essential oil
- 2 drops lavender essential oil
- 1 drop lemon essential oil
- optional: 3 tbsp of your favourite herbs or flowers (lavender, lemon slices, thyme etc.)
- Boil a pot of water. Take caution with the temperature as you do not want to burn your skin. Make sure it’s warm enough, but not too hot that it may injure your skin.
- Mix in all the ingredients into your pot of warm water, let it infuse for a few minutes while the water cools down.
- Soak your feet in the warm foot bath for 15 to 20 minutes. Play some music, grab your favourite book or magazine, and enjoy!